All children should have a full hearing assessment before they start school even if there are no perceived hearing problems.
A mild or unilateral hearing loss is very difficult to detect without a thorough hearing assessment.
How will I know if my preschool or older child has a hearing problem
Does your child do any of the following?
- Not reply when he/she is called
- Complain of ear pain or head noise?
- Respond inappropriately to questions?
- Seem to speak different to other children their age?
- Have difficulty understanding what people are saying
- Have problems academically?
- Turn up the volume of the T.V excessively loud?
- Otoacoustic Emissions (OAEs)
- Play Audiometry
- Pure tone Audiometry
- Speech Audiometry